Note: If you are having trouble viewing this newsletter please update your browser to the latest version. 

Mandatory Alcohol Servers Training (MAST) Permits

Why do bartenders and servers need to have an alcohol permit, which is commonly referred to as a MAST Permit?
The short answer is that bartenders and servers need to have MAST permits to protect the health and safety of the public. The training educates managers, servers, bartenders and other service industry staff about the effects of alcohol and responsible alcohol service. 
The Washington legislature passed a law requiring Mandatory Alcohol Server Training (MAST) for managers, servers, bartenders and other employees who serve alcohol or supervise the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption at liquor-licensed establishments. Employees in the service industry are required to get the appropriate MAST permit within 60 days of hire. However, if you are an employee of a grocery store with a wine and beer tasting endorsement and will be conducting the tastings, you must obtain a Class 12 permit immediately.
It's important that licensees and employees have their MAST permits and a suitable form of identification with them while working. Licensees need to make sure that all employees complete their MAST training during their first 60 days on the job. This will protect the business from being cited for violations and penalties.

Holding A Manufacturers' Private Event? 

Manufacturers who want to have a bottle club or plan a pick-up party for newly released products need a special permit for these types of events.  The events cannot be open to the general public but you can invite a select few to join you at specific place, date and time to try your product and purchase some to take home. Call Customer Service at 360-664-1600 for more information.

Meeting Restaurant Food Service Requirements

If you have a restaurant license, it's important to meet and maintain the food service requirements. Licensing staff review each menu individually to make sure that your business qualifies as a bona fide restaurant.  A bona fide restaurant means a business that’s primary purpose is the service of complete meals.
  • Spirits/beer/wine restaurants are required to have the kitchen equipment to prepare, cook, and serve at least eight complete meals.  A complete meal means an entrée and at least one optional side dish. For more information about food service requirements for spirits/beer/wine restaurants, please refer to WAC 314-02-035
  • Beer and wine restaurants may have items such as sandwiches, salads, soups, pizzas, hamburgers and fry orders. 
For both license types, meals that solely consist of pre-cooked frozen items or take out items from another business do not qualify as meals. 

Trending Issues

Questions About Private Labels: Breweries-Wineries-Distilleries
The Board is often asked who manufacturers (breweries, wineries and distilleries) can contract with to produce private labels.
WAC 314-12-146 allows manufacturers to contract with sports entertainment facilities, spirits/beer/wine restaurants, private clubs, grocery stores and beer/wine specialty shops to produce private labels. 
Keep in mind:
  • Manufacturers may not produce private labels for any other license type, including distributors.
  • Manufacturers cannot have exclusive contracts for the private label spirit product.  It must be reasonably available to all licensed spirits retailers.
  • The manufacturer must submit approval from the federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) for each private label for board review.

Warmer Days are Coming: Summer Events

One-Time Approval for Outside Events
Now that spring is officially here and summer is just around the corner, some of our retail liquor licensees may be wondering how they can participate in local festivals or events. Normally, alcohol service for on premise licensees is limited to the area originally approved for that license. However, Washington Administrative Code 314-03-100(6) does allow for limited exceptions. The Board may approve outside service for one-time events, such as a holiday celebration, where liquor service and consumption may extend to an area of the premises that does not have Board approval for liquor service. The licensee must:
  • Have leasehold rights to the area where alcohol service and consumption is planned; and
  • Notify their local enforcement office in writing at least five days prior to conducting the activities, unless the licensee has received an exception from their enforcement officer.
Special Occasion, Catered Event, or Banquet Permit
Do you know someone who is planning an event?  Do they have the right licenses and permits?
This is the busy season for Special Occasion Licenses and Banquet Permits. Help your customers understand what kind of permit or license they need.
Public Events and festivals:
You cannot give away free liquor at a public event. You may only sell liquor at events that are open to the public if you are a non-profit entity. Whenever you sell liquor, a license is required. Non-profit entities have two options for selling liquor at a public event:
  • Apply for a  Special Occasion License; or
  • Hire a liquor licensee with a catering endorsement.  
Plan ahead - the Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board needs at least 45 days to issue a Special Occasion License.  Click here for non-profit special occasion licenses FAQ’s.
If you are a licensee and someone asks you to cater alcohol at a festival or community event, consider the following issues:
  • Do you have a catering endorsement? If not, you cannot cater alcohol.
  • Is the entity asking for your services for free? Only a non-profit entity that is sponsoring an event can hire you to sell alcohol.
  • Do you have approval from your liquor enforcement officer? You must provide the non-profit’s UBI number to your enforcement officer and request approval.
Other Special Occasions questions from licensees:
Can a non-profit have a Special Occasion event at my liquor-licensed location?
Yes, but you may not serve or sell your alcohol during the event. Only one license/permit can be in use at a location at once.
Can a non-profit hold an auction at my liquor-licensed premises?
Yes, only if they have a Special Occasion license. Groups without non-profit status may not auction alcohol.
Private Parties
Are you having a summer celebration for family and friends? If you are having a party for invited guests in your home, you do not need a permit.  If you are planning to serve liquor to invited guests in a public place or business, you must have a banquet permit.  Banquet permits are available to for-profit businesses, societies, organizations, and individuals. You can apply for a banquet permit on line at:
Private parties with a banquet permit may use your licensed premises, however:
  • The event must be private; it cannot be open to the public.
  • The private party has to purchase and bring their own alcohol from a licensed retail source.
  • The alcohol must be given away; it cannot be sold, auctioned, or offered as a prize.
  • The licensee may not sell alcohol at the event.

Promote public safety and trust through fair administration and enforcement of liquor, cannabis, tobacco, and vapor laws.
-WSLCB Mission Statement
Let us know what you think, take this survey